Wednesday, February 02, 2005

milk (milluk)

assalamu alaikum :)
bismillah.
its 11.45 and im driving home from work. relieved that the day is over, and realizing that tomorrow is going to another long day, i just want to go straight home and relax. and then the phone rings. the caller id displays "home." immediately my brain triggers "DO NOT PICK UP." what do i do? i answer.

me:salamalaikum ami ji.
mom: SALAMALAIKUM ATIF?!?!
me: haan ji ami ji, its atif.
mom: OH HELLO ATIF??!?!??!
me: AMI, haan ji its atif!
mom: oh, acha, acha, teri avaaz naye aundi (i cant hear you.)
me: okay, but dont yell.
mom: acha, kar dood naye haiga. (okay, we dont have milk at home)
me: ami ji, its almost 12, plus its cold and rainy. can we not make it through the night?
mom: bachiyan ney dood peena hain, tay main subha chaa peeni hain.(the kids it, plus i need it for chai in the morning)
me: mannnnn
mom: oye, 'man man' na kar! chal, sun, randall tay dood sale tay hain: do gallon chaar dallar day. tay naal bread vi laikay aye. (don't 'man man' me! listen, its on sale at randalls for two for 4 dollars. get bread while youre at it,)
me: okay, okay.
mom: pulli na! (dont forget)

and so goes the story of my life...

sheik speare.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol...ur blog amuses me. with you, there's never a dull moment, huh?

fi amanallah.

3:26 AM  
Blogger Bushra said...

Haha this blog is awesome. So entertaining...

11:22 AM  
Blogger GOLDI said...

is it really dood? wouldn't it be duDD?

11:58 AM  
Blogger Modest Hijabi said...

Haha
She didnt ask for'ganday and aloo'this time?

1:40 PM  
Blogger Breath of Purity said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:48 PM  
Blogger sheikspeare said...

my beloved goldi, we pronounce milk like "should." its hard to spell punjabi in english, so yes, maybe youre right.

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aww..moms are cute mashallah :)
i always say haan ji and my uncles think its the funniest thing..wierdness.

enchanted

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol...if u didnt translate that in english i would not have understood itt...lol (dont man, man me! lol)

2

6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahh yess the late night trips to the grocery store just so our moms can have chai in the morning

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

obedience to your parents is full of rewards. nice going. may Allah swt reward you for your late-night trips to the grocery store for milk and bread. Ameen. :D

11:21 PM  
Blogger GOLDI said...

atif: you're exactly right. duDD = [d]ould.

9:54 AM  
Blogger GOLDI said...

guy I just read your parents wedding story.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. (odd thing is, Jaysh [characterized by many as spoiled american brat]says his parents' marriage was the same)

'lifting bricks for the larkis'

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard. My mum says the dont man man me thing aswell,except its in gujji and she pronounces man as men.


Saima

10:39 AM  
Blogger Lamoni said...

why are there so many teenyboppers flirting with you via comments?

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh dang...i learend punjabi woohoo! heh.
cute convo with ur mom.

-Sidrah

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe, this blogsite is too dam funny. in addition to 'dont man, man me' i get 'im not a man, do i look like a man to you!?'

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home